This was the final project for a semester-long shoe design class in my 4th year at Carleton University. It involved creating a brand identity for AVIVA, a court-sport footwear company. My project partners (fellow scholars Theo Stoppels and Justin Murray) and I developed a name and logo.
We created a mood-board to help convey the feel of our brand. We wanted our brand to be visually striking, with pop colours set on a subdued background; expressive and with an edge.
Our approach for this product line was to divide it into 3 categories of performance: control, stability and lightweight. I designed for the control tier and was inspired by the control we have with our mind.
And with this, I was inspired by the aesthetics of a Rorschach inkblot and used this as a graphical motif for a shoe.
We wanted to find our place in the market so we positioned the brand in a matrix relative to our competitors.
I experimented with the colour blocking, silhouette and proportions of the minimal court shoe.
The final design was a hyper minimal court shoe with an exposed toe, ideal for squash where toe traction is important. These were rendered in Photoshop and presented for critique.
These renderings were done for a contest put on by Keyshot.
I wanted these renderings to have complimentary imagery: fine art juxtaposed with the beauty of an Eames.
I played with colour that complemented the paintings.
This project involved development of a battery backup for Photojojo.
I wanted to approach the design differently than the product typically available on the market. Batteries are boring, plastic boxes. I considered that wood would be a warm, organic material that could be carved into an exciting form.
I ripped a sample battery pack apart and used it as a basis for a prototype. Then I commissioned my Solidworks design to be CNC'd out of maple.
This 4th year project had a simple premise: to design any light fixture you wanted. I was inspired by the effect of putting an object in the middle of 3 mirrors, each mirror being at right angles to each other. A 1/8 object becomes a 3D form in this setup.
I thermoformed a 1/8 sphere and placed it into a corner mirror.
I thought the effect would be enhanced with a larger clear sphere around it.
I then 3D modelled and CNC'd a larger thermoform mold to create this larger transparent 1/8 sphere.
The framing had a slight recess to keep the mirror flush.
The effect I desired was achieved and I was happy with the results. An atom-like shape occurred which was somewhat of an unexpected but welcomed outcome.
I wanted to design something for Shapeways and why not give kudos to the great designs of Ray and Charles Eames in the process.
The 3D model was based off of Andrew Lowe's incredible rendition of the chair he posted on a open 3D database. The upholstery textures where unlike any other models I had seen.
At 1:24 scale, I had to thicken thin areas of the chair to allow for 3D printing without compromising the proportions of the chair.
The design got some traction on the internet and was featured on Tumblr's front page, which was really exciting.
Solidworks Part Replication
This is the final project for an advanced Solidworks CAD course taken at Carleton University.
I had to perfectly replicate a part from an existing product using Solidworks, 3D print it, and finally refine the fits. The white part in this image is a 3D printed version.
The part I chose was ambitious. It has complex surface transitions and geometry that was difficult to measure.
All the internal details were created to fit with all the parts.
Here is a walk through of the process of constructing the 3D CAD file.
Our friend Rafa was leaving Umbra so we decided to all paint a Muni figure for him as a parting gift.
I wanted to base my design off of this incredibly bizarre cartoon called "La Planete Sauvage".
I took a look at the Muni and figured out how I could paint it...
... took it ...
... primed it for fear the spray can wouldn't stick ...
... masked the eyes, painted the head red, put circular dots on the face, painted the body dark blue ...
... and finished it off with hand painted black lines ...
... and a gloss coating to prevent paint chipping.
This second-year Industrial Design project challenge was to design a home organization product that was limited to only metal and wood.
I decided to tackle power cord management. It's a constant headache trying to untangle wires and cords at your work space, especially when using multiple devices that all need power. I wanted to apply some compact organization to this tangled cord madness, and create an elegant object for the tabletop.
I combined a few of my ideas into a standalone desktop unit. I prototyped it in plywood to get the proportions and functionality right.
These are 1:1 scale, charcoal and pastel rendered, orthographic views of the product.
I machined the metal base out of steel so that it was heavy and would stay in one place. This is the final prototype I presented.