This project was part of the launch of OLKA, a new brand created by Photojojo. The debut release was concise: to create a 'basics' line of phone accessories including a battery, wall charger, charge cable and case for the iPhone. The products should be simple, thoughtful and iconic.
 I worked in collaboration with Andrew Walla on this project.
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 2.12.43 PM.png
 I recruited the talent of Andrew Walla, an SF based designer with experience at Incase. We began by researching the market category then diving in with vast ideation pitches. 
 We developed over 170 different ideas for new ways of producing batteries, chargers, cables and cases. We categorized ideas that felt similar and synthesized to begin creating cohesive concepts.
 During conception, I wanted to treat the products it as a system, , instead of a series of individual products, to give cohesion to the collection
 This "Stack" concept I proposed was selected to move into further development. The circular system of stacking pucks appealed to the team because it was iconic and a departure from traditional battery functionality.
 I used Solidworks to model, and Keyshot and Photoshop to help visualize the product, and to experiment with materials and finishes.
 We experimented with different finishing options including this coloured speckled pattern.
 Careful consideration was put into the cable design. We wanted a flat cable to alleviate tangles, and a braided fabric exterior for durability and more domestic feel.
 I produced 3D printed prototypes to test features and user interactions. I then created GIFs to help demonstrate the functionality. This prototype had hidden magnets which allowed the battery to be attached and charged wirelessly.
 The power cord wraps nicely around the wall charger and power prongs neatly stow away for travel.
 I modeled this prototype with a channel in the body which allows the power cord (a shoe lace) to be stowed and attached with magnets. The cord then can be treated as a handle for the battery.
 We took apart a product to understand how we could achieve such a simple product with magnets.
 This prototype shows a novel approach for adding colour and more functionality to the case. However, a simpler design was favoured in the end. 
 I rendered in situ images for final presentation using Keyshot and Photoshop.
batteryontable.jpg
prev / next